Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Whats Next!!!

Okay, I will continue to mix in posts about previous but I have to post about the past week.

Last Tuesday night, Josh starting telling me he didn't feel well. Thinking once again this was just his classic headache I gave him some Tylenol and sent him to bed. Wednesday morning we woke up to him throwing up at 5am. He only did it once but then he started complaining his belly hurt. By 9am he couldn't stand up from the pain and so I rushed him in to the doctors office. The minute he got there he shifted into defense mode which is laugh instead of cry and pretend everything is fine. The doctor looked at him, and even though he had the pain and a fever, since he was laughing and seemed to be okay there, sent us home. Later that day he was back to being miserable so we called the doctor and they ordered a blood test. When the results came in at 9pm all the signs were pointing to appendicitis. At this point we had managed to get him to sleep so they told us to wait until morning and bring him in to the office again and they would check him over. At 9am the next morning we were back in the office. By this point Josh had heard that appendicitis meant surgery and was scared so he kept telling the doctor it didn't hurt and he was fine. Wrong. Since he was lying to the doctor and doing his laughing thing again, once again we were sent home with the doctor sure it was a virus. At 3pm I was fed up. My bouncy little boy was laying around miserable. I called the doctor and insisted they order another test. They ordered an ultrasound up at Primary Childrens. We loaded Josh in the car and raced to the hospital. The ultrasound tech was very polite while he did the test and then instead of sending us out told us to wait just a moment. He came back less than a minute later with the radiologist, who then got the doctor on the line, who then got the surgeon on the line. Needless to say, he had appendicitis. They admitted us to the hospital and Josh was freaking out! Luckily my awesome cousin Jeff works with the anesthesiologists and Josh really likes him. He came to get Josh for surgery and held his hand when we couldn't. He was even there for him when we was waking up. Thankfully the surgery went well and it hadn't ruptured. Once he was awake they took us back to the room and all Josh wanted to do was play video games, now that he was feeling better, forget sleep. The nurse and I finally made him take some medicine and go to sleep at 2am. Thankfully he is doing well and recovering quickly! I am so grateful that I listened to that little voice that kept telling me something wasn't right, because I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't. Also, I don't know if he reads this, but THANK YOU JEFF!

No comments: